"We do not talk anymore. And I've forgotten the way your back curves. How are we supposed to know each other, now?"
All night, I was thinking about whether I should share my personal life on here. To be frank, I have followers who know me personally, and I'm not sure how much I would like them to know about me, without them confronting me. But then again, I have a feeling they won't. That they'll read this blog, and act normal towards me. And if they are reading this, let it be known that that's how I want it to be. It's so different and a pleasant change when people aren't asking you what's wrong, what happened. I like sharing, but only to vent and to make sense of what I feel. Not for attention or for questions. Writing does that to you.
Being an emotional person does not mean that you cry at every sensitive thing.It could also mean that you feel too deeply and too strongly for something, but you don't spill tears for it. That's me. In recent months, I've tried to suppress it, tried to stamp it out of me. By not addressing how I feel about situations, and only analyzing what's in front of me. I stopped thinking too much about everything, stopped trying to find meaning in it all. Just talking about it is not enough to tell you what REALLY happened. Changing yourself is a really big deal. Changing the way you think is actually struggling. No matter which way you change, for better or for worse. I stopped being me, and even though it fixed a lot of matters, I wasn't me anymore. And I knew it. So I wanted out.
I've decided to share as much as I possible can, meaning that whatever I feel like I should, or whatever I want to.
I changed ever since H went back to America. Everytime he goes there, it's like a switch. He changes. Not going into details, I decided to pull a switch of my own. I didn't want to give too much anymore. In fact, I didn't want to give anything anymore. I didn't want to invest in something that I couldn't put a stamp on, to guarantee. The decision was a simple one, and I worked towards it. I told myself that I'd be that way- nonchalant, changing priorities, not giving it all- only until he realized it and wanted the old me back. This wasn't a game that I was playing; I was just sick of freeing up my own time at the expense of my family and friends, just to find out that he couldn't free up his own time for me like I could for him. It was a change that involved ego n my part as well. I didn't want to feel like I was losing dignity.
He noticed, he wanted the old me back. But I couldn't. I honestly tried, but some self-defence mechanism in me prevented me from opening up again. I can't explain it, but things were harder to say, meetings were harder to plan. There used to be a time where there was nothing I wouldn't do for him. And now I can barly think of a few things I can.
It's weird how people only assume that a relationship ends with a bang. With fights, screaming, she cheated on him, he did something she didn't like. It's more common in Pakistan, as far as I've seen (my own opinion). There are tears, tissues, memories, and lost love. And then you pick up the pieces and move on. I say it's weird, because 1. Me and H haven;t broken up yet, and 2. We haven;t done anything to make us break up.
It's the strangest thing. We don't fight, at all. Maybe because we don't have time for fighting. Ever since he came back from the States, I decided to reorganize my priorities. Spend more time with my friends, my college, my studies. Put my family first. Put him in the back seat, like he did to me when he had family and work to take care of. The relationship is still here, it's still working, we still talk at night- but we've drifted apart. I don't know who I'm talking to sometimes, because I don't remember him. I don't remember how he used to be, or the time we spent together.
We're both alive, healthy, and working. We have celebrations, we have deaths, we have schedules. And slowly, we've written ourselves out of each other's lives, without meaning to.
It feels strange, like I have a relationship with a phone. Relationships are built with love and maintained with time. And we both don't have time. Strange once again, because I know that if I tried, I could make time for him Call it a talent, but I can multi-task fairly well. Friends, family, religion, H, studies. My favorite thing to do is ponder on how I can balance all of this. I would love to. I just don't want to anymore. Why should I put so much effort into this when he can't/won't?
I don't know where this is all going to lead. Maybe we might not be together. I know one thing though. Not to sound like a completely hopeless romantic, but everytime I see him again, everything is pushed aside, and I remember US. Who we are, who we were. But that changes as soon as I remember that he could leave any second, because his family needs him day or night, or a friends needs him. And we have to stop the meeting. It would make me cry earlier, to think that he chose his friends over me. Now, I just think about what I'll do when he drops me home.
"We just let ourselves fall apart. We didn't try to hold it at the seams, we watched ourselves distance, emotionally, mentally. I don't know about you, but I had the stamina to make this better. To call you as much as I could, even while being in another city, or being busy with friends. I just didn't want to anymore. I saw that you let everything go, so why couldn't I? Just make other things a higher priority than you and my feelings for you. Make it so often that the line blurs and you think you still have each other on the highest priority, but you don't, not at all. It's denial and lying to yourself, because you don't have time to think about priorities, life just happens and you take it as it comes. We don't see it, because we don't want to see it. We want to believe everything is okay. Training. Even now, after things have settled into this groove, I still am not ready to give you everything all over again. I still double check on whether I should send you a text or not.
Meetings are not as important as they used to be. The terrace climbing is a memory. And we act like strangers together."
This matter should be addressed as soon as possible, I know. Call it cowardice that I'm not doing so, that I want to keep on holding on to this. I don't know. I'm not sure about it anymore. But I'll keep writing until I am.

7 comments:
I really enjoyed reading this post. I seriously think just writing about it helps you make sense of the situation.
It's a tough decision to make and I think gradually people can drift apart, something doesn't need to happen to trigger it, you just reach a point and realise that you're with that person out of habit, sometimes they don't even make you happy anymore.
I guess what you have to ask yourself is whether he does make you happy, whether you do really want to spend the rest of your life with him. You're young, you have so much going for you and having to dedicate all that time an energy to a relationship can be challenging, and it's unfair that you should continuously drop everything for him when he doesn't do the same.
Talking to him about this would be quite wise, but then definitely know what you're going to say first. Do it as soon as possible because sometimes the feelings build up and it could go very wrong.
I love you very much, just know that. I hope your mum is well, you're all in my du'as :) xxx
feels surreal seeing my post. Wow. o.o
Writing should help, I had a problem too with a friend changing when it wasn't convenient to be nice to me. I happily moved on to much better people, and changed for the better when I pulled my own switch on him.
You can not imagine how much I can relate to you. Im in the exact same place. I dont know what happened.. things just changed with time. He has other committments that he cant get out of. I want him to live his life too, enjoy it, but I suppose it can happen only at the expense of losing me, but apparently he doesnt think so.
Something changed in me cause I was tired of maybe living in that illusion. Living a dream. I realised reality was so much more overwhelming than phonecalls. There was a time when I'd stay up for him the whole night, but its not the same anymore.
He tries a lot to hold on to it but I think he's in a denial. He cant feel the strings losen up. Then once a year he's here and we meet up and I forget all the things that are wrong and when he goes back, its all the same. Probably that's another way of making me realise how strong reality is.
Our families already have issues so we'll have to try hard to make it happen. Then again, maybe I've lost that will to try hard. Why base it on something that I forget when Im around real people?
I've told him all this but sometimes I think he cant really do anything about it. I wouldnt want him to leave everything and come back. Obviously. And then, I've realised Ive started putting my studies, my family and everything else above him too. He comes last and I cant make that effort anymore.. I miss him sure, I cry at the though of losing him, but maybe that's just not enough..
Anyway, sorry for pasting my own story here haha.
Also, good luck for head and neck. I hate it =P
Wow, Anon, I really wish you would tell me who you are! Everything else that I couldn't say, you said. Thanks :)
You just put into words everything that has happening with me over the last 6 months. Every single word rings so true for me. Except for the fact that it is not a long-distance relationship. And I no longer even remember 'US'. It's like I flipped a switch and I don't know how to UN-flip it.
And I just don't know what to do any more.
Thank you for writing this. I don't feel so alone any more. :)
Just knowing that I could do that for you, was enough for me to feel like I'm doing good by writing how I REALLY feel on my blog. Thanks Eirene. Let's hope that whatever happens for both of us, happens for the best. <3
Oh, and weird but nice coincidence: both of our respectives are called H.
Post a Comment