June 21, 2011

Domino Effect.

I really do not know anymore where things are heading with my life, and if I have a say in it at all.
You know how people have a stroke of good luck? It's like, I'm having a constant stroke of bad luck. One bad things after another.
First, my parent's fight (which was still ongoing)
Then, money problems.
Then,my friend's death.
Then, my cousin's cancer.

Enough of a load, no?

Absolutely crazy.
And through all of this, I'm keeping my head held high, I'm being strong, I didn't cry...much. Lol. 
Today had scared me beyond imagination.
I didn't go to college today, as I only had one class to attend, and it didn't seem important enough. Histology classes won't happen anymore, since the course is over. So it'll only be Biochem and Dissection and tests. Besides, my sister needed me to go with her to the Board because they made a mistake on her roll number slip. The morning started innocently enough. I woke at 9, was ready by 9:30, and me and my sister went to the University. After about an hour and a half of waiting and people telling us to go to different departments, we finally found the right one. The guy there tried to trick us into giving him money by saying there would be a fee for correcting the mistake on my sister's roll number slip. 1100 rupees.

Are they serious?

50 rupees, I'll get. 100 even. My sister didn't even pay that much for registration to give her papers! What was this guy playing at?! So my sister, fuming, called her friend who also came a few days before. The guy got all scared, thinking we were calling an official, so he started writing out an application, and told us to go to four different people to get it signed. Then he asked us to wait. We waited for about 15 minutes, and he came back with my sister's new roll number slip. HA!
That guy was trying to pocket some extra cash, and thought we were dumb enough to fall for it. Idiot. Me and my sister were recounting the story and laughing over and over again on the way home in the rickshaw. We were going to tell our Mom about it, because we knew she'd laugh. 
So the rickshaw stops in front of our house, and the main door is slightly ajar. I thought maybe my dad went out to get something or talk to someone. Me and my sister go in the garage, and knock on the main door. And nobody's answering. I'm still not concerned, at this point. And it's quiet, I can;t hear my mom calling someone to open the door. As I'm thinking that, the door opens.
And there's nobody there.
It's just opening. I walk in slowly, thoroughly confused, when a man comes out from behind the door, wearing a mask. 
Can you guess what happened? I was so disoriented I STILL didn't get it. He just kept saying ''Idhar aao beta (come here daughter) and I saw that my mom's light was on. I went in her room, and saw that there was a mess, blankets and clothes everywhere, and I saw a piece of broken wood, before I saw my dad.
He was on the floor, tied up.With his head towards the window, not looking at any of us.
Oh my God. I was being robbed. I saw my mom on the bed, and she motioned for me and my sister to quietly come sit down with her. Before we did, one of the robbers asked for our phones. I gave it. I actually don't remember handing it over, I was in such a dazed state. How, where, when? Next to my mom was my youngest sister, and my brother was at academy. I was thanking God for him not being at home. Young teenage boys do the craziest things when being robbed. Like fight back. That's what Hassaan did. And he was killed. I was so worried about my dad. He wasn't speaking. He had his head down. I thought he was unconscious. I felt so scared.
There were about 3 of them. Or I think 4. I only remember seeing 3. Then, the one who took our phones said ''You're like our sisters, we just want you to sit down, and cover your heads with your dupatta. This will all be over soon, we've taken what we could, though there really wasn't much of it.'' So then they searched for about 5 more minutes while I tried to gesture to my mom, asking what happened. She replied each time with ''Be quiet, and just read Durud Shareef under your breath.'' I looked around the room, and saw that the piece of broken wood was from my mother's shelf. They broke it, on purpose, because they couldn't find her gold (it was at the jeweller's). They talked amongst themselves, and then a while later, the one who took my phone (at this point he seems like the leader, I know) said ''We're shutting your door. You're not allowed to come out, no matter what.'' And my mom said ''Leave it a little bit open, I'll feel suffocated, I'm diabetic'' and another burglar, a large one, started yelling at my mom (I could not understand what he was saying, his Punjabi was way too fast, I can't even understand normal Punjabi) and she retreated, but they opened the door just a crack.
Then all went silent.
We didn't know if they left or not. We were worried they were hiding, ready to kill us if we left the room. We whispered to each other for about 10 minutes (which seemed like an hour) and then my mom got up to go the living room to check. They were gone.
Instantly, we all ran out to see if it was true, and it was. My sisters went to go untie my dad and his friend,and I was helping my mom. We were shocked out of our wits.
The police were called, my neighbours were informed, Dad's family was coming over. For the next three hours, we served people, and told the story over and over again. The burglars were smart enough to open doors and closets with cloth, so they wouldn't leave fingerprints behind. So when the police dusted for prints, there weren't any. And besides, I don't trust the police here. If they ever do end up finding the stuff they stole, the police would probably keep it to themselves. Yep, that's how much we trust our goverment. Lol.
Now, the house is still a semi mess, because none of us are in a mood to fix it all up. They took my dad's laptop, and my mom's diamond jewelry :( she was really sad about that. Surprisingly, however, they didn't take MY laptop. :/ You have to understand that these burglars were like trolls. They barely knew anything, they only knew about cash, gold, and cell phones. My dad's laptop was open so they saw that it was a gadget However, they didn't see my laptop as a gadget. Probably because it's a mini Hp. They maybe thought it was a toy. Boy, was  glad when I found out it was still upstairs,on my vanity table. :D

Every dark cloud has a silver lining right?

Mom and Dad aren't fighting anymore. They're speaking to each other again.

Enough said ^_^

9 comments:

mehreen said...

hey atleast this fixed things up with ur parents. n u still have ur laptop. thats like a doiuble silver lining on the dark cloud ;)
just stay positive or atleast till the d ay u have nothing better to do then u can let it all out at once but jus focus on ur tests till then.

Furree Katt said...

whoa. i cannot imagine how terrible it must have been. i hope those robbers get caught soon. at least they didn't mistreat you and your sister.
your positiveness is really admirable! ♥
*hugs*

Nas said...

That is such a henious henious act. To take away someone's possessions without their permission. To steal, makes me angry.

And I agree with Furree, your positivity is commendable.

Take care!

Qurratulain said...

Oh my god that's horrible! I'm so so glad you guys are okay! I was so worried, & I couldn't even text to see how you were.

I can't believe people would do such a thing, and the police is so corrupt there as well. It's just mad.

The important thing is that you're all safe and that none of you were hurt xxxx

InnocentlyGreen said...

This is so terrible. Trouble really never comes alone. But I have to say it's impressive how strong you are throughout it all. And being able to see the sliver lining.

Take care and be safe :)

Sara said...

Assalaam Alaikum Wafa,

Welcome back! I'm glad to hear your laptop is up and working now.

I can't believe your family was the victim of a burglary, that's just awful! I always hear about such events in the news, but when it happens to someone one knows it's almost a different feeling. May Allah protect you and your family. All of you reacted rightly by not fighting back. Who knows what the thieves may have done?

Your optimism after having underwent such a situation is indeed commendable, MashaAllah. =)

My du'as remain with your family and the innocent people of Pakistan. I hope the law and order situation makes an improvement soon, Insha'Allah.

Laterally Moved. said...

Thank you guys, for admiring my positivity. Even I am, to be honest. But nobody knows how strong they really are until they have to be. I'm glad I found out for myself :)
And alhamudilllah, only by the Grace of Allah, we are all safe and none of us are hurt. Because of that, all of this seems like a dream.

Unknown said...

Keep on fighting, life isn't that happens to us, life is what we do with it ! :)

lil-bee said...

OMG Hyper,

So shocked this has happened! Alhamdullilah you all are well!

These kind of things probably happen a lot and you're right .. the police probably would have kept it. :(

But I guess everything happens for a reason right? :)

Good on you for seeing the positive side .. and once again, Alhamdullilah that you guys are all okay!