June 28, 2014

Change.

Change is the only constant. We're hearing about this from the moment we're teenagers and everyone is telling us how it's like to be an adult, but we don't really know what it means until it happens. And most of the time, you don't even know it's happening until its over.
We change our friends. Our style. The way we talk. Every relationship changes. Your mother and father were superheroes for the first 15 years of your life; infallible. And then you see the mistakes they make. And the way you can do things better. It's hard to digest at first. Mom/ Dad are wrong, but how can they be? And then later on it's simple. They're only human. And we are equal, albeit wiser than them.
Those college friends. The ones that cried with you when you broke up with your first ever serious relationship. And literally did everything that's been immortalized on the silver screen. There's a saying, however. "You're only friends with some people because you have to see them five days a week." And that was my case with college. I see them now and I don't understand how I fit, or how I ever did. They're so different than me. I'd rather not see them.
The "really" serious relationship. Going on six years. But were they lively, fulfilled six years? Or three of those and then three dead ones? Am I mistaking comfortable old-married-ness to falling in a rut? Are we over before being officially over? Don't know. But what I know is that nothing is the same. It's like walking into your room from uni and seeing that the bed, the walls, the carpet, everything is different. That small shock and stun you feel is what I'm feeling right now regarding H and this.
I'm watching too much Sex and the City I think.
You don;t understand change. And then you hate it, cry your heart over it. And then you accept it.

1 comment:

Eminu said...

Jigger, true that shit.